Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Books A Million

There's been so much going on at the FP recently that I've had nary a moment, nor clarity of a single thought, these past few weeks. And it shows. I'm haggard, baby, and my sense of humor could use a serious kick in the boondoon, What's more, in my biggest existential slight I have also neglected to recommend the proceeding recent Graphic Novel releases. I'm sorry, world. I'll make it up to you, somehow, someway, someday.

Books I totally forgot to mention the last few weeks, that are totally rad, and you should totally buy:

Elvis Road - Swiss art duo Xavier Robel and Helge Reumann team up for this sexily designed HC: a dense, 24ft. drawing, rumination on our mutually frenzied experience, accordion folded to be viewed as a single experience wherever you can possibly find that kinda space in NYC, or as a sequential narrative. Highly recommended.

Criminal - Ding-dang-doo, that Ed Brubaker sure do write them funnybooks darned good, don't he? The guy's written, like 37.59% of American comics released the last few years, up to and including: The last year or so's Daredevil, one of the character's standout storylines (and that's saying a lot, considering the talent the book's showcased through the years), he killed Captain America, helped revitalize Iron Fist, revolutionized the Authority... Sheesh, I thought I was a busy dude! For my money, his creator-owned book collaborations with Sean Phillips (Sleeper + Criminal) take the proverbial cake. And I just know you've read all of Sleeper, so I guess it's time for you to complete your collection, huh?

Cassanova HC - Collecting what is easily one of the funnest, most imaginitive comics I've ever read. I'm am not being facetious at all. This is not hyperbole. I'm as serious as cancer. Props, big-ups, and many, many thanks to Messrs. Fraction and Ba.

Releasing 5/31

Silver Surfer Requiem #1 - The long promised and hyped Silver Surfer series by JM Straczynski is finally upon us, and consider me excited by more than a smidge. A lot more. Being the creator and primary writer of the seminal TV series Babylon 5 (a masterpiece, even if it does look cheaply made and outdated in this century- but ideas transcend production value, kiddos) JMS has deftly proven his speculative faction acumen time and again, so a Surfer comic by this hallowed craftsman is indeed something to drool for. Get yours now, homies.


And btw, Denzel, make my Silver Surfer Moebius!
JEFF

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

©2007 Forbidden Planet, L.L.C.
Design by AliceMeichi.com