Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Mahna Mahna

There used to be this really boss and fun radio show on WFMU that we'd listen to in the store on Saturday mornings called "Greasy Kid Stuff". They'd occasionally play this song leading in to the DJs that'd maddeningly jingle over and over, "We could be heroes, dah dah dah du-duh dah..." I have know idea any of the other words or who did it, but the derned thing tattoos itself on my nimble, yet susceptible mind about once a week this fall, with no end in sight as the following book hits FP's shelves 11/7/07:

Heroes HC - When this TV show first aired last season I gave it a three episode trial, after which I held it in such low esteem that snorting wasabi was preferable. Customers would ask what I thought about it, affording me a chance to use the tried and true Han Solo quip, "I'm trying not to, kid."

Then I found myself at Shea with my friend MDO one night, idly chit-chatting as Johan Santana made the Mets look like tee-ball rejects. Now this guy and I have many things in common and I usually respect his opinions (except when it comes to his creepy Harry Potter obssession), so when announced his unreserved and unexpected fandom of the show he convinced me to give this thing another chance when it was DVD-ified. And I have. And I really dig it -- even if it is the world's corniest super-hero comic on screen. I know I wrote a few weeks ago about not wasting time for serials to "get good," but some things deserve a second, third, or fourth chance. Nobody ever got anywhere without taking a chance.

Now DC Wildstorm presents us with a comic of television's comic booky. Collecting the online comics based on the show, this volume -- featuring two covers by comics giants Jim Lee and Alex Ross -- also includes an introduction by Masi Oka (Hiro -- this guy's terrific), all 34 chapters of Season One, and Tim Sale's artwork as seen on the show. The comics included have been written and illustrated by some of comics' and television's top writers and artists, including Michael Turner, Phil Jimenez, and more! Now, I know I can happily listen to "Greasy Kid stuff online at www.wfmu.org, but I ain't got a lot of me time coming up, so if anybody knows or gathers details of the song I refer to up top, contact me so that I might seek it out and further my dementia, will ya? I've got a terrific no-prize to give out!

Acme Novelty Library Vol 18.5 PX Portfolio - Attn. Chris Ware acolytes: You ain't gonna find this book just anywhere, and it ain't gonna be available for long. Act accordingly. This print portfolio contains all four "Thanksgiving" covers drawn by the cartoonist for the November 27th, 2006 issue of The New Yorker, as well as an additional fifth comic strip previously available only in digital form.

Dark Tower Gunslinger Born Premiere HC - collecting Marvel's seven issue series of the year, this is essential for you milions and millions of Stephen King fans.

And in case you won a buncha dough with a scratch-off ticket, or just worked hard for it, or were born into it, here are three more high end books of note from last week that I highly recommend:

Storeyville - by Frank Santoro.

New Engineering - by Yuichi Yokoyama.

Mw - by Osamu Tezuka.

Mahna mahna-ma nana nee nee yee-dee-dee!

JEFFY

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

©2007 Forbidden Planet, L.L.C.
Design by AliceMeichi.com